Ndere Island National Park
Ndere Island National Park is an island off the northern shore of Lake Victoria covering an area of 4.2 km2. The island was gazetted in November 1986. Ndere is a Luo (local tribe) name which means meeting place.
Ndere Island National Park offers one of the best scenic and special interest parks in Kenya. It was branded as ‘the island of serenity and beauty’.
The climate of the destination is hot and humid.
The park can be accessed by air and road. By road Ndere Island is 45km away from Kisumu City. If using boat once can access from Kisumu through the Lake Victoria which is almost one hour drive
Attractions at Ndere Island National Park
- Six mini-islands
- The scenic Ndere island
- Fresh air
- Wildlife; Sitatunga antelopes, De brazza monkeys, Hippos, Olive baboons, Impalas, Monitor lizards, Jackals, Dikdiks, variety of fish species, Vervet monkeys, Aardvarks, Geckos, Vervet monkeys, over 100 bird species and a variety of vegetation
- Spectacular view of Homa hills
- Bird watching
- Game viewing
- Boat riding
- Sport fishing
Other Kenya National Parks and Game Reserves
- Mwea National Reserve
- Longonot National Park
- Mount Elgon National Park
- Mombasa Marine Reserve
- Marsabit National Park and Reserve
- Malindi Marine National Park